Skip links
Ares Multidisciplinary Medical Center

Renewal of driving license in Spain

Now it's easier to renew your driving license, the process of updating your Spanish driving license has become faster and easier.

Renewal of driving license in Spain
Renewal of driving license in Spain

The driving license in Spain has a limited period of validity, so it must be renewed every so often. The duration of the license varies between car and/or motorcycle drivers and professional drivers. If we have an expired driver's license, we can face fines of up to 200 euros.

Rating of our customers

At the Ares Medical Center you will find the best team of health professionals, specialists in carrying out all the necessary tests to renew your driver's license.

All medical procedures to obtain or renew a driving license must be carried out in a medical center authorized by the DGT. We are the best rated center in the Baix Empordà! 

To renew your driving license in Spain you have two options:

  1. You can renew your permit at one Authorized Driver Recognition Center. We carry out the medical examination, take the photo and process it immediately. 
  1. You can also do the renewal at the Prefecture of Traffic (DGT). Before that, you will have to make an appointment, pay a fee and bring a series of documents, such as the psychophysical fitness report, necessary for the renewal.

We carry out the psychophysical fitness report, process the card and you don't need to go to the DGT.

Useful information

What do you need to know to renew your driving license with us?

To renew your driver's license through an authorized recognition center, you need to pass the psychophysical tests consisting of a series of auditory, visual and motor coordination tests. The following documentation must also be provided:

  • Your DNI or NIE.
  • Your expired or about to expire driver's license in case you need to renew it.
Máquina para la revisión del carnet de conducir
Doctora haciendo revisión Médica Ocular
Useful information

When can I renew my permit?

You can renew your driving license three months before the expiry date.

Bringing up the renewal does not mean, in any case, that you lose days of validity, since the extension starts counting from the date on which the permit or license expires.

Ares Multidisciplinary Medical Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Regarding the renewal of the driver's license in Spain.

Frequently Asked Questions

If a reasonable amount of time has passed since you completed the procedure (two and a half months) and the card has not yet arrived at your address, we advise you to notify us. We manage it, notify the traffic incident and follow up until you receive the original card.

Every foreigner resident in Spain must renew their driver's license after two years of residence in Spain, and with the same frequency as Spaniards. Every person of Spanish nationality must renew their licenses in accordance with the law. If you drive with an expired driving license you run the risk of being fined.

It is only possible to hold one European Union (EU) driving license at a time. This permit is issued by the authorities of the EU country where you usually live (you must live there for at least 185 days for personal or work reasons).

If your permit has been suspended, canceled or restricted in the EU country that issued it, you will not be able to renew it. You will have to do the corresponding procedure to regularize your situation.

You can always renew your permit or license, regardless of whether or when it expired. What is important to remember is that you cannot drive with an expired permit or license. The fine reaches €200.

Continuando la asistencia en Medicina Estética
Mujer con máscara para hacer la revisión ocular para el carnet de conducir
Frequently Asked Questions

The most normal thing is that two months after completing the procedure you will have your new permit at home.

There are three reasons that prevent you from being able to renew your driving license. The first, if by judicial decision there is a deprivation measure that prohibits you from driving motor vehicles and mopeds.

The second cause has to do with the lifting of a precautionary measure or suspension of the permit that reveals, through judicial or administrative means, the loss of the points assigned to the card. When all the points allocated to the license are lost, the right to renew the license is lost and you must undergo a process of road awareness and re-education.

The third cause is linked to an "interrupted" result issued by another medical center. If you go to a medical examination center and have an illness incompatible with driving, Tránsit requires a report to be able to give the APTE. Pending the report, the center will issue an INTERRUPTED result (not SUITABLE, but also NOT SUITABLE for driving). If at that moment, the customer goes to another center to renew the card, the INTERRUPTION is recorded in the Traffic system. And it can only be managed and solved by the first medical center where the patient attended.

The validity of the permit depends on your age, but also on your state of health. If during the medical examination the doctor verifies that you suffer from an illness or deficiency that, although it does not prevent renewal at the moment, is likely to worsen, the period of validity of your permit will be shorter.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, for 3 months you will be able to drive with the provisional permit within the national territory. This provisional permit is given at the time of the procedure. If it is a renewal, it will be done by the medical center where you did the recognition and for issuance of new permits, it will be your Driving School that will facilitate it for you once the corresponding exams have been passed.

No. With the provisional license you can only drive within our borders. If you have to drive abroad you will have to apply for the International Permit, at any Prefecture or Traffic Office. In this case, you need to request an appointment online or by calling 060.

If you hold a Spanish permit and have your habitual residence in another European Union member state, or if you are temporarily residing as a student (for a minimum period of six months), you will have to renew your permit - it in the State in which you are residing. Ask the national administration of the country where you live so they can tell you how to do the procedure.

Conducir un coche y disfrutar del paisaje
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. More information
move around