Ares Multidisciplinary Medical Center
License of Potentially Dangerous Dogs
Owning a potentially dangerous dog comes with responsibility. According to the current regulatory framework, the owner of an animal of a breed considered potentially dangerous must have an administrative license authorizing its possession and driving, issued by the City Council of the municipality where the animal is registered .
Which dogs are considered dangerous?
If you are thinking of adopting or buying a dog, you should know that in Catalonia the following breeds are considered dangerous:
- They are considered potentially dangerous dogs the Akita Inu, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bullmastiff, Doberman, Dogo Argentino, Dogo de Bordeaux, Brazilian Fila, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pit Bull, Presa Canari, Rottweiler, Tosa Inu or any crossbreed of these breeds.
- They are also considered potentially dangerous if they have acted aggressively towards people or other dogs.
- Those dogs that have been trained for attack and defense are considered dangerous.
Where do I process the license if I have a PPP?
The license is issued by the Town Council of the municipality where the dog will usually reside and where must be registered.
How long is the license valid?
The license has one validity of five years and is valid throughout Spain. If the family moves to another municipality, it is necessary to deregister the animal from the census of the City Council where it lived before and register in the new municipality.
What documentation do I need to bring to the City Council to complete the procedure?
- Medical Certificate. At Ares Medical Center we do it quickly and professionally.
- Criminal record.
- Responsible declaration (can be downloaded from the website of the Generalitat de Catalunya: Department of Territory and Sustainability. Environment).
- Insurance policy covering the dog.
I do not have a dog considered dangerous, but I take it for a walk Do I need a license?
If you are not the owner of a potentially dangerous dog, but you do take it out for a walk, you must apply for a dog driving license from the City Council. Just like the owner, they will ask for the same requirements.
Each license is personal and non-transferable, and only one dangerous dog can be walked per person.